This handout presumes you know why you need to cite your sources (to determine your authority, to introduce evidence that is persuasive in order to avoid plagiarism, etc.), These instructions give attention to how you format the page. (For a resource that will help you decide how to cite a source that is specific look at MLA Bibliography Builder).
To completely cite a supply requires two phases. The initial occurs in the human body of your paper (the “in-text citation”) plus the 2nd takes place on a different web web page at the conclusion of one’s paper (see “Works Cited List,” below.)
Citing a Block Quote (significantly more than three lines)
- Long quotes can start to appear like filler. Only make use of block estimate when you yourself have a great explanation to add the entire passage. (it is possible to frequently make a shorter quote to your point.)
- Should you have reason that is good quote a passage that is a few lines long:
- Choose the text and then click the “Increase Indent” icon (see image, appropriate).
- Spot the citation that is parentheticalthe author’s title together with web web page quantity) following the duration. (this is certainly not the same as inline quotes, below.)
- There’s no comma between your author’s name as well as the web page number.
- In the event that quote operates across one or more page: (Wordsworth-Fuller 20-21) or (Wordsworth-Fuller 420-21).
- Skip wordy introductions such as for example, “In his informative guide The Amazing Writing Book, posted by Elizabeth Mount university this season, the composition that is noted Maxwell Wordsworth-Fuller defines the significance of citations in MLA style documents.” Cutting the filler makes more room to build up yours ideas that are original. (See “Integrating Quotations.”)